Puppy Adoption Day
It's arrived and it's finally time to bring your puppy home. Now, it's quite possible this day is your first time to Sugar Pine Doodles or this may be your second visit. No matter, what we want you feeling prepared and confident about this exciting day.
1 day prior to visit
Please text to 209-217-7116 & 209-256-7095 in the same message to confirm you will be coming the next day and an approximate time. We will message you back. If you don’t hear form us please follow up with another text message to ensure we will be home and ready for you and your family. Due to poor cell coverage in the mountains it can take awhile for messages to reach our phones. In most cases we do get them immediately just don't feel bad sending more than one message.
Day of Visit
2 to 3 hours before your visit: Please text in the same message when you are leaving your home or between two and three hours before your arrival. This let’s us know you are still coming. Things can happen day to day so we like to have this “day of” message and we know if we have last minute errands we always have plenty of time to make it home for you.
30 minutes prior to arrival: Please text those numbers again to let us know you are 30 minutes away. This is typically when you reach Jackson, CA. Even though we heard from you a couple of hours before you may need to stop for food or gas and we love having this last message to double check the gates are open, parking space is available and our doodle are secured.
What to wear and consider before visiting a breeder
You are visiting a dog breeder with dogs. There will be jumping excited doodles ready to put their happy paws on your nice white pants so please wear rugged, durable, comfortable clothing that you wont mind pee, poop, or dirt stains on. Please wear clean clothing that hasn’t been around sick or injured animals prior to your visit. Please wear comfortable closed toe shoes, athletic shoes are best. Essentially, we live in the forest with rocks, tree limbs, and random things from our remodel. It’s imperative that your family dresses for safety and pays attention to where they walk. It's essential you and your family do not climb over the rocks to get into our grass area, they use the steps to come into our grass area and they stay away from any tools or machinery.
Can I take pictures or bring my camera?
Yes, of course you can bring your camera or cell phone. We do not have cell reception here but you can always use our internet password or our home phone to make calls. If you need to let a babysitter know where you are and they need a reachable number please give them my cell number above and I can provide you with our home number upon request. Remember when you are here your phone will not work. If you do give that number to your babysitter please let us know to ensure we answer incoming calls. We usually don’t answer the phone when a family is visiting unless its my mother or our children.
The drive up to Pioneer is beautiful and picturesque with towering pine trees and many breathtaking views. However, lurking behind the trees are darting deer just ready to prance into your lane on the road. Please be aware if you see one deer there is likely more to come from either side of the road. Being alert and on guard is ninety percent of the battle. We all have deer whistles on our vehicles. They are under ten dollars and a great thing to have on your vehicle that can be bought online or a local auto parts store. We want you to be safe and have a wonderfully enjoyable ride here and home.
What to Bring
- Travel Carrier - We recommend a wired, powder coated crate that has two doors and folds together for easy storage. In most cases we do have additional crates for forty to fifty dollars, depending on our cost, we only ask for reimbursement or we do provide crates with our full service puppy package.
- Water & Bowl - We do have water bottles that we can send you home with in case you forget. Next, we recommend the soft water/food bowls for travel; however, a small cup works just fine too.
- Towel or Blanket - We will provide you with Mom's scented blanket but some additional towels or a blanket is a good idea for the ride home.
- 10 to 12 inch Collar - Your puppy will be microchipped with a tag for their collar. This tag has an eight hundred number to call if your puppy gets lost. We've only had one puppy escape their family on the first day. The good news is she was found in less than 2 hours because she had a collar and tag on. We never plan to have our puppy stroll away but having identification from day one is so important just in case.
- Additional Person to Hold Your Puppy - It's your puppies first day with you and they are going to want to meet you and be with you. Yes, they can ride in a crate that is belted in but they would much rather sit with you and snuggle.
- Your Final Payment in Cash - We do not accept personal or business checks for the final balance on pick-up day. If you prefer to pay with check please make payment arrangements prior to final visit so the funds can clear before pick-up. We do accept credit cards with Square or Paypal with payments made two days prior to pick-up. Please be aware that there will be a 2.5% fee for using credit cards that is charged by Square or Paypal. Please contact us for our Paypal email address.